News

Man zaps himself with thousands of volts as he tries out dog’s anti-barking collar

A pet owner got zapped with thousands of volts of electricity after he tried on an anti-barking shock collar which he was intending to give to his dog.

The collar was set to maximum strength when Steve Yendle tried it out.

The 59-year-old had bought the new shock collar for his dog Tilley and decided to try it out himself first.

His cheeky friend Paul Travis had sneakily turned the settings of the collar up to max power without telling Steve.

It meant Steve would receive the most powerful shock possible.

In a hilarious video clip filmed by Steve’s wife Sandra, 57, he can be seen holding the collar tight to his neck as Paul leans towards him and barks.

A high pitched warning sound can be heard emitting from the collar before Steve receives an almighty shock that leaves him collapsing to the couch and groaning.

Paul and Sandra can be heard laughing in the background as Steve swears and desperately tries to take the collar off, in the living room of their home in Newport.

Security guard Steve said: “It was awful, I felt it right down in my toes!

“I just wanted to feel how the shock was but Paul had turned it all the way up and I never thought it would tingle all the way down to my feet!”

The Yendle family have four dogs.

The shock collar was going to be for their Patterdale terrier Tilley but they decided against it after Steve’s experiment with the accessory.

Cleaner Sandra, 57, added: “Steve is one of the biggest jokes around, he’ll try anything!

“He loves his animals and wanted to try out the new bark collar but had no idea Paul had set it to the highest shock.

“It sure shocked him!”

Shock collars work by an electric current passing through metal contact points on the collar which then gives the dog an electric signal. It can feel like anything from a mild tickling to a painful shock.

These collars tend to be sold as training devices.